Friday, April 2, 2010

ZOO!!!

A couple of days ago we finally had our first trip to the zoo! One of Robin's friends from high school asked me and Ty to go with her and her two boys (Reily 2.5 yrs and Isaac 1 yr) since they have a zoo membership and could get us in for free. Of course Ty is a little bit on the young side to really "get" what we were seeing. If an animal wasn't moving, he didn't even notice it was there! But the trip was totally worth it and we can't wait to do it again.

I felt like I officially joined the ranks of parents with toddlers... My packing check list felt long and it was interesting keeping track of a walker amidst the crowds! Sippy cup, snacks, wiping runny noses, hand sanitizing at least every 30 minutes after picking up something gross from the ground, in and out of the stroller 100 times, lots of, "Hold mommy's hand please!", wide eyes and gaping mouth when we saw an animal close up, diaper changes in public restrooms (always an adventure), and generally trying to keep occupied so we didn't fall apart due to missing afternoon nap :) A great time was had by all. Hopefully daddy can join us next time!

**********
Okay so the carousel deserves it's own story, first of all. Tyson has never been on one before and I was sure he would love it - what kid doesn't!? Well...I had to peel him off me one finger at at time with all of my strength to get him to sit on the seat. Then...he started crying. His little face just broke and he looked like I had sent him to his death! I stood as close as I could and hugged him around the waist while the music started. After a minute he was too distracted to cry, but he definitely never smiled. He just sat there with a steel grip on the post and didn't blink or make a sound. I don't' know if I would say he "enjoyed" it, but at least he didn't' seem to mind after the initial shock (see video). We'll keep working on it...

We saw some great animals! He especially liked the giraffes and they came really close to us after this picture.


I didn't know camels were actually this weird looking, lol.

Reily and Ty looking at the fish in the tank! Finally some animals at eye level ;-)


He was in and out of the stroller quite a bit and I could barely keep track of him once his feet hit the ground! He wanted to walk everywhere and loved the tanks.

Following Reily around some more...

We tried to get a picture of Lisa with her boys, but you know how boys are!

Finally at the end of a long but very fun day, he passed out in the car. First zoo trip was tiring but successful! We can't wait to get our own membership at some point.



1 comment: