Thursday, September 17, 2009

Crock Pot Crazy

Every time my mom hears that I'm cooking something she has a PMM ("proud mom moment"). I don't think she ever imagined that her little soccer-playing, dirt-loving, won't-learn-to-cook, barbie-hating, I-refuse-to-wear-anything-pink/flowered/girly, tomboy of a daughter would ever truly flourish in the kitchen. Well mom, the time has come at last. Your daughter is now a cleaning/cooking/diaper-changing machine! (Okay, so I'm not exactly always caught up on the cleaning part, but I'm doing pretty well at the cooking and diaper changing these days).

As you may know, one of my goals for this fall is to explore and master crock pot cooking. I do not know why I didn't take advantage of my crock pot more often when I was working outside the home full time! Who wouldn't want to come home to the smell of delicious dinner ready to be served? I am now making up for lost time and using the crock pot a couple of times a week. I have had a few people send me recipes, I found a couple on blogs, but mostly I just "Google" whatever ingredient particularly sounds good and include "crock pot recipe" after it, and see what I come up with! Here are a couple of recent recipes I've tried that Robin and I both liked and I will be making again. Bon appetit!

Easy Pot Roast Recipe
From the kitchen of Heidi Schween

INGREDIENTS:
o 4 lbs chuck roast (I used a roast just over 2 lbs)
o 3 – 4 carrots, chopped
o 1 onion, chopped
o 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed (I used less)
o 1 – 2 stalk celery, chopped
o Salt and pepper to taste
o 1 packet dry onion soup mix
o 1 cup water

** Easy to add more or use less of whatever vegetables you have on hand or sound good!

DIRECTIONS:
Take the chuck roast and season with s/p (or Montreal Steak seasoning – see notes below) to taste. Brown on all sides in a large skillet over high heat. Place in the slow cooker and add soup mix, water, carrots, onion, potatoes and celery. Cover and cook on low setting for 8 – 10 hours.

Heidi’s modifications: Use 1 – 2 cups/cans of beef broth instead of plain water. Sprinkle roast heavily with Montreal Steak Seasoning (instead of s/p) on all sides before browning (plus a little garlic salt/powder if on hand). Gives much better flavor. Add chuck roast, onion, broth, and onion soup mix to slow cooker, then HALF WAY THROUGH cooking (about 4 hours) I added the potatoes and rest of the vegetables – keeps the vegetables from becoming mushy!
**********
Crock Pot Beef Stew
From the kitchen of Heidi Schween

INGREDIENTS:
o 2 lbs beef chuck or stew meat; cut in 1 inch cubes
o ¼ C. flour (I use whole wheat flour)
o 1 ½ tsp salt
o ½ tsp pepper
o 1 ½ C. beef broth
o 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
o 1 clove garlic; minced (I use 2)
o 1 bay leaf
o 1 tsp paprika
o 4 carrots; sliced
o 3 potatoes; diced (I use less)
o 2 onions; chopped
o 1 stalk celery; sliced
o 2 tsp kitchen bouquet (optional – I do not use)

DIRECTIONS:
Place meat in crock pot. Mix flour, salt/pepper and pour over meat; stir to coat meat with flour. Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix well. Cover and cook on low (200 deg) for 10 – 12 hrs, or high (300 deg) for 4 – 6 hrs. Stir stew thoroughly before serving.
**********
Crock Pot Bananas Foster
From the kitchen of Heidi Schween

Serves: 4

INGREDIENTS:
o ½ C. margarine or butter
o ¼ C. brown sugar
o 6 fresh bananas, cut into 1 inch slices
o Vanilla ice cream

DIRECTIONS:
Melt margarine/butter in slow cooker by turning cooking on low (will take about 10 minutes). Mix in brown sugar when margarine/butter is melted. Gently stir in fresh bananas and rum. Cook on low for 1 hour. Spoon banana mixture over vanilla ice cream and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment