Friday, January 13, 2012

My days

I spend a lot of time on the floor these days.  My job, 7 days a week, about 13 hours a day, is taking care of a 1-year-old and an almost-3-year-old (and a 22 week gestation little baby - which is a lot of work!).  My uniform?  Black yoga pants or whatever else comfortable I can find.  I do not have vacation days, and I do not have sick days.  I don't get lunch breaks.  The coffee is made by 7:00 am at our house, but I don't often drink mine until 9 or 9:30, after it's been microwaved a couple of times, because I've been changing diapers all morning :)  The perks of my job?  I spend afternoons on the floor, playing with my kids and listening to my little girl learn to use her voice, and sing...  Best job in the world.  Hard job?  Yes!  But when I hear her little voice learning it's way in the world...all is made right.


I read this quote the other day in one of my new books, and it brought tears to my eyes!  I posted it on my Facebook page, but I thought it was worthy of re-posting on here.  Actually, I think it is worthy of being framed and put up in my house so I will see it every day!!! 
"When you look at your children, pause and stand in awe that you have been entrusted with these little lives. Embrace them with your arms, your time, your attention, and relish these fleeting years. Seek God's strength to love them. Love them enough to be gentle and tender. Love them enough to diligently train them and discipline them. Give them firm boundaries and clear expectations so they will thrive. Instill in your children a firm foundation upon which they will build their entire lives. Uphold their dignity and speak kindly of them before others. Acknowledge that no one else was chosen to parent these children. God chose you."
 I'm thankful that God chose me, to spend my days on the floor with my kids, listening to them sing.  It's not glamorous, and it doesn't exactly pay well, but the rewards are greater than I could have imagined.


1 comment: