Monday, May 20, 2013

One year later...

Well, I thought since my last blog post was Tessa's newborn photo shoot (you can read her BIRTH STORY) that it was only fitting for my next post to be about her 1st birthday (lame, I know).  We upgraded our windows software (I'm not a fan), bought a computer better suited to Robin working from home, and had some issues with .BlogSpot.  Technical difficulties, people.  Oh, and life was a little bit crazy there for a while after adding child #3, making three kids ages 4 and under.  I was too busy to devote time to figuring out why the blog wouldn't let me up load photos, etc.  And with the upgraded computer set up...I wasn't even sure where my photos WERE once I took them off of the camera and put them on the computer - ha!  Technology issues are making me feel old...  Anyway, it's been a fun and crazy year for our not-so-little-anymore family.  Tessa Grayce turned a year old last week and we had a low key afternoon celebrating with my in-laws and a couple of friends.  We kept it small on purpose so we could really just enjoy our family and our birthday girl without the utter chaos that inevitably accompanies big first birthday bashes.  I missed my family and wished they could be there, but tried to take lots of pictures so they could at least experience it in photos.  Now on to the party!

 
Latest project: birthday balloon wreath!  I wanted to make some gender neutral decorations that I can pull out every time there's a birthday in our family.  1) because I don't have time to make specific themed decorations for each kid every time they have a birthday, 2) I don't want to spend the $$ to make new decorations all the time!  More cost effective to have a few reusable ones.

Birthday sign...post gusts of wind at the beginning of the party.  It looked cuter before the weather got in the way!


My little birthday beauty.

My in-laws back yard - MUCH more conducive than our yard for a BBQ with plenty of room for the kids roam around and play.

Pretty pleased with how well these turned out!  I did not want to use artificial food coloring since that stuff is pretty bad for you (and I'm especially conscious of what I make for my kids to eat).  But I didn't want just plain white cupcakes for my girly girl on her bday.  The frosting is colored using only a homemade blackberry "sauce."  I made the sauce, strained the seeds, and added some to the (dairy free) frosting when I whipped it up.  Unexpected benefit: it tastes amazing!  Slightly fruity but not overpowering at all.  And of course since I'm obsessed with coconut flour these days, I had to attempt coconut flour vanilla cupcakes.  Grain free, and also delish!  I used to be gluten free, but once our whole family went off dairy I stopped having any issues with gluten (hallelujah!).  We just eat very few grains in general anymore, so coconut flour cupcakes were a divine discovery.

Jersey girl enjoying her cupcake.

The gang hangin out in the back yard.

Tyson and one of his best friends, Tori.

"Why is everybody singing and staring at me?"

Big brother to the rescue, helping blow out the candle.
 
As with all of our kids, she wasn't so sure about touching the cake.  Much less putting it in her mouth.
 
I LOVE this picture (good job, Robin!) of her chubby little baby fingers.  I know she will lose what little baby chub she has before we know it.  Tessa had a 2-layered coconut flour vanilla cake with whipped coconut cream "icing" since she, like the rest of our family, is dairy free.

 
"Okay, enough of this stuff.  I'm not so sure about this whole 'sugar thing.'"

A few presents for the birthday girl.

 
Much needed summer clothes from Grandmommy and Pappy!  You would think we would have enough girl stuff already, but since the girls are opposite seasons and it gets pretty darn hot and pretty darn cold here, I haven't been able to use a whole lot of Jersey's clothes for Tessa.  Hopefully in the next year or so all of the hand-me-downs will work for Tessa since she'll last longer in  her clothes.

A little play kitchen from Nana and Papa.

We still can't believe we have THREE kids, and the littlest one is already a year old.  We live a very rich life if you're counting your blessings in children.

The birthday girl in her PJ's, all tired out from the excitement,  snuggling with Grandmommy.

Still amazing to me that my baby girl is a year old!  Each of our three kids I have felt the same way, but with each child time seems to fly by a little bit faster than the last.  I'm in the process of weaning her which all of a sudden makes her feel even less like a baby.  She's literally seems to be growing up overnight!  I feel like I was given such an incredible gift that I was the center of her world for the last year.  Someday she won't need me like she does now, so I am treasuring every single day.  I am truly humbled that God chose me to be her mama.  We love our "Tessa-berry" (Robin's nickname for her that the whole family has adopted).  Happy first birthday, sweet girl!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment