Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Mother's Prayer

This prayer was given to me by a friend right after Tyson was born. It has touched me deeply and I keep it tucked away in my Bible so that I remember and stumble upon it every so often. Such a good and sweet reminder of these precious moments. Lord knows I need the reminder today when I am sick, and Tyson is cutting his last tooth (praise the LORD). God remind me this morning how small his little world is and how important my role is in making it a safe and secure place where he can grow and learn in you.

A Mother's Prayer
Dear God,
Help me to remember this time when I can hold the whole of my baby's tiny foot in the palm of my hand.
Let me remember all the other little things I might take for granted today.
The way he grasps my finger tightly and gazes into my eyes.
The sweet welcoming smile as I come to him unexpectedly.
The way he kicks his feet and spreads his toes. His little giggle when we play "peek-a-boo."
The happy hoots and shrieks with which he welcomes the morning.
The soft smoothness of the skin all over his little body.
The way he kicks and splashes in the bathtub.
The way his eyes gleam when he sees his bottle. The way he leans against me when he's tired.
The complete trust he has in me. Help me to never knowingly betray it.
Help me to be a good mother to him, to keep him healthy and happy, to teach him wisely and well.
Let me always be there when he needs me, but give me the courage to make him able to stand alone.
Show me the right way to bring up my baby a fine man. And keep him happy.
AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment